Monday, July 28, 2008

Up, up in the sky, where the little birds fly






We made, we really did it, we are in our new home! It hasn't been without its ups and downs, but now we are up, up on the 29th floor. Our closing had been postponed three times, but Friday I got a call saying "we are 80% certain it will happen, but don't get the certified check yet." So I wait and wait and then get a call at 1:00 saying, "we're going to do it!" I email my banker who is on email speed dial, he gets the check ready, I literally run to the bank which is 7 minutes away, grab the check, hop in a cab, and ask the cabbie if he knows how to get to the address? He can't understand me, I can't understand him and we are 20 minutes before the closing is to start and getting no where. Finally I explained where I thought we should go and he turned around and said, "will you trust me?" What was I to do? So I said "yes" and he turned around and went 14 blocks in the opposite direction. We hopped on the FDR, zipped down the east side of the island, past the Brooklyn Bridge, hopped off the FDR, went down some crazy side streets and at 1:59 he stopped and said, "there's your building." Wow, we'd done it! I dashed into the attorney's office and found not just our closing, but six others going on at the same time. We were each in a little cube with two attorneys and the title company representative and the paper signing began. It was like one big assembly line, and six of us walked out two hours later hoping we had made the right decision. I met Paul at our new home, we picked up the keys, he carried me over the threshhold (that would be a virtual carry) and we did a dance in the living room. Saturday the movers delivered all of our things from a storage facility in New Jersey and at 4:00 we bid them a fond farewell and began the process of moving in.
We are officially New Yorkers, but always and forever Red Sox Fans.
We would love to have you come and see us and share our lovely views of the Hudson River, Central Park and the NYC skyline.

10 comments:

Megs said...

You have no idea how much it made me miss you guys when I saw dad's picture. I love the new place. It sounds perfect.

It's Been a Day! said...

i think the new place looks great! i'm so excited to come and see it. love your computer chair. very stylish!

It's Been a Day! said...

i just showed tyson the pictures and he was so happy to see dad on the black couch!! he said "grandpa lives there now. look at all those cities. i wish i could go there too."

merathon said...

love the new furniture-- can't wait to see everythin all moved in! we're thinking of you!

Malorie said...

Congrats! But you know what this means... no more free yogurts.

meredith said...

I can't wait to help you move in. See you soon.

Megs said...

I was looking at these photos more closely and I love that the shell lamp made the move. I never thought it would have made the cut!

It's Been a Day! said...

megan - the shell lamp always makes the cut. even if it doesn't have a lampshade and even if the lightbulb just hangs down the side!!

Alex and Garrett said...

Wow! Your new place looks awesome and talk about a great view! Congrats on moving in!

Girl said...

Me too I can't wait to see it.