Monday, June 27, 2011

Locks of Love



I walked the Brookyn Bridge two times this month. Once with my cousin Carolyn and her friend Patty and then again with my sister Karen and her daughter Kira. I am no stranger to the bridge because I have walked it a number of times and biked across a few times. And I have even read David McCullough's book about the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge. The Bridge celebrated it's 128th year this past May. However, there is something new on the bridge I had never noticed before----hundreds of locks attached to the wire fences, benches and bolts. We were curious as to why they were there and a little research turned up this result. Couples come to the bridge with a lock that has their names on it, they lock it to the bridge and throw the key into the river, forever locking their love to the bridge. So romantic! I am on the hunt for the perfect lock and before we leave this great city, Paul and I will lock our love to the Bridge. I get a bit weepy thinking about it.

2 comments:

Katie said...

That's really cute. Never noticed it either!

Megs said...

This I love! What a great idea and perfect for you and dad. I was hoping to walk the Brooklyn Bridge when we come.