Wednesday, July 13, 2011

And the rockets red glare.....




Paul and I celebrated the 4th of July by riding our bikes down to Battery Park to salute the Statue of Liberty. It was a foggy morning so look carefully and you will see the lovely lady standing in the harbor. I remember my mother getting choked up every time a flag was raised or each time the flag was carried at the front of a parade. She cried whenever we saw something patriotic----memorials for soldiers, etc. I didn't understand when she tried to explain that she was crying because she was grateful for what the flag represented. And I assumed she was crying because my dad had served in two wars and she was grateful that he had returned home safely. As I teared up looking at Lady Liberty, I thought of my mom, and I now I understand.

After a day of reading and hanging out, we decided to stay home and watch the fireworks from our apartment. Six barges were in the Hudson River and perfectly timed fireworks were sent skyward from each barge. We not only had a great view, but it was air conditioned! We could see fireworks from several small towns in New Jersey, the Bronx, Harlem and somewhere on the east side. It was a delightful day.

1 comment:

It's Been a Day! said...

I tear up singing the star spangled banner all the time. i guess i have grandma to thank for that and my goiter. and grandpa to thank for my sweat glands!!

happy 4th! looks like it was a very pleasant day.